CLICK TO CALL 780-944-0792

Local Resources

Local Information

Do you have a general question about life in Edmonton?

“I need to take the bus across town, but I don’t know how to plan my route.”

“How can I get a license for my pet?”

“How can I make a complaint about noise or a bad road?”

The City of Edmonton provides a very helpful hotline with qualified professionals who are happy to help answer any questions you have about city programs and services. To get in touch, dial 311 on your phone, or visit their website.

Do you need information about social services or community resources?

“How can I find childcare?”

“Where can I volunteer  or donate my used clothing?”

“I’m having trouble with money for food, rent, and other costs”

211 is a resource line that can help with day-to-day needs and coping with stressful situations.  They can connect you to a full range of non-emergency social, health and government services in your community.  Many operators speak other languages.  Phone 211 to ask your questions.  You can also visit the 211 website.


Personal Safety

Edmonton is generally a very safe city, however, as with any place in the world, it’s not perfect.

If you are ever in danger, dial 911 for Edmonton’s police, fire and ambulance services.  911 is only for emergencies.


Are you planning your travel to Edmonton?  Congratulations! This is an exciting time for you.


A homestay is when a student or traveler lives as a guest in a local family’s home.

At CCI-LEX, we do not organize homestays for our students, but here are some helpful websites:


Short-term Stays

One very affordable option for a short-term stay is a hostel.  Check out Hostelling International – Edmonton!   They are located in one of the most popular shopping and dining areas in the city, and are just a short transit ride away from CCI-LEX!  Friendly environment with shared kitchen and common areas to meet people from around the world. There are discounted rates available for CCI-LEX students – contact us for more information.  


MacEwan University is another great option for individual or group accommodations.  They allow both short and long-term stays and have a variety of student rooms available May through August, with Hotel Rooms and Suites available year-round.  Rates are reasonable, rooms are private, and there are discounts for long-term stays.



If you are looking for a room, apartment or house to rent in Edmonton, here are some helpful websites:


Edmonton offers a variety of different banks and credit unions, all of which offer similar services.

Because Edmonton is such a multi-cultural city, most banks will have employees who speak many different languages.

If you are worried about being able to communicate with the employees at the bank, you can try calling before you go in to ask if they have any staff who speak your native language.

Here are some of Edmonton’s most popular banks:

  • ATB
  • TD Canada Trust
  • Scotiabank
  • BMO
  • CIBC
  • President’s Choice

Many banks have special programs for new immigrants and international students.  Check their website or ask about newcomer supports.

Medical Services


If you have a medical emergency, dial 911 for an ambulance.  If it is not an emergency, do not call 911, as you may be handed a large fine.

Medical Centre Walk-In Clinic

If you need to see a doctor but it is not an emergency, local walk-in clinics provide doctors that are available to see patients without appointments.

In Edmonton, walk-in clinics are often called Medicentres. Visit their website to find the clinic closest to you.

Alberta Health Link

If you have a health problem but are not sure if you should be worried, you can speak with a nurse on Alberta’s health hotline.

To get in touch, dial 811 on your phone, or visit their website.



Do you need someone to talk to? Do you need help with social services?

Connect with the Canadian Mental Health Association.

To get in touch, dial 211 on your phone, or visit their website.

Legal Advice

In Canada, only a trained lawyer is allowed to provide legal counsel.

If you have any concerns about the law, here are some low cost, helpful organizations to contact:



Canadian law restricts CCI-LEX on providing any advice on immigration.

To speak to a professional about immigrating to Canada, visit the Government of Canada’s website.


Do you have a problem or complaint that you need help with?

At CCI-LEX, we care about our students and whether you have a problem with one of your classes at CCI-LEX, or need help getting settled in Edmonton, we are here to help.