Who are we? Cultural Connections Institute – The Learning Exchange (CCI-LEX) provides accessible English language classes for adult newcomers with an emphasis on community-building and cultural exchange. A registered charity in downtown Edmonton, we have been changing the lives of thousands of newcomers since 2003.
The Finance Committee, as a Standing Committee of the CCI-LEX Board, is chaired by the Treasurer and is responsible to assist the Board in fulfilling its fiduciary responsibilities in regard to overseeing the financial reporting process and internal control systems of CCI-LEX.
Who are we looking for? We are looking for new Committee members who will support CCI-LEX’s mission to build an exciting, multicultural, and positive learning environment that fosters community connections and belonging for adult newcomers. People with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, knowledge of the community, and the ability to work well in small groups are considered assets.
As the school evolves, we are always seeking individuals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences to reflect the diversity of our community. We have a broad wish list and are currently seeking candidates with experience in any of the following areas:
- Financial management
- Knowledge of financial policy and procedure for non-profits
- Budget creation
- Strategic planning and policies review
What are the responsibilities? Every member of the Finance Committee is expected to do the following :
- Monitor the organization’s financial position, updating the Board and addressing any financial concerns.
- Ensure Operational Finance policies are up to date
- Review the annual budget before presenting it to the Board.
- Review unbudgeted requests for funds by Board, Executive Director, and committees.
- Review appropriateness of insurance program.
Why volunteer with us?
- Gain experience in a non-profit setting expand your network, learn new skills, and use your skills to make a difference in the lives of newcomers!
- Contribution to the Advancement Services profession; association with professional colleagues; recognition of contributions and expertise among the professional community.
What is the time commitment? 2-3 hours per month, including meetings and events. Our meetings are currently held virtually and may transition to hybrid options in the future.
How do I apply? Please include a resume and letter of interest saved as one file. Please submit all questions and applications to the Finance Committee Chair, Yemi Timson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 13, 2023.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful applicants will be required to undergo a police record check and provide two professional references.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. CCI-LEX values diversity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people of Indigenous descent.